* Ciara O'Shea (left) won the NPOTW Week 8 honor; Ali Weimer (right) is a nominee for Week 9 of the cross country season
- - -
Ciara O'Shea has been on a roll as she won her sixth straight 5K of the season.
After competing within the state of Kentucky for the last severl races, the Madison Central (KY) junior traveled over 450 miles to compete at the Great American XC Festival in Cary, North Carolina.
Leading into this race, it would be a challenge on paper as O'Shea would face a handful of the nation's best. She crossed the finish line in 17:08.90 for 5K and won the race by four seconds.
Along the way, she set a new personal best by over 30 seconds.
Last week, O'Shea accumulated 1,389 tallies to earn about 40-percent of the votes. A huge congratulations goes to O'Shea for her personal record-breaking performance and for taking the victory against a stiff field.
Let's move on to week 9 of the cross country season National Performer of the Week presented by New Balance poll.
Vote for whom you think should win this week's national honor following this most recent week of action. Voting will end Friday, and we'll recognize the winner every Monday during the unveiling of the newest poll. Better yet, each boy and girl winner will win a pair of New Balance shoes.
We are requesting winners (or their parents or coaches) from each week to email Cory Mull at firstname.lastname@example.org and Olivia Ekpone at email@example.com to notify us of your contact.
Vote below in the poll and let us know your thoughts in the comments. For reference, check our Top 25 Cross Country Performances of the Week. You can also vote in our National Boys Performer of the Week poll.
NPOTW Cross Country Winners:
- Week 1 Winner: Karina James, Lowell (IN)
- Week 2 Winner: Lily Cridge, Bishop Chatard (IN)
- Week 3 Winner: Avalon Mecham, American Fork (UT)
- Week 4 Winner: Nicki Southerland, Delta (IN)
- Week 5 Winner: Bethany Michalak, Air Academy (CO)
- Week 6 Winner: Dalia Frias Mira Costa (CA)
- Week 7 Winner: Karrie Baloga, Cornwall (NY)
- Week 8 Winner: Ciara O'Shea, Madison Central (KY)
NPOTW Club Track and Field Winners: