* Evan Caswell (right) won the Coach T Invitational over the weekend in Denton, Texas
- - -
Dawson Mayberry remained undefeated over the cross country season this past week, coming up with National Performer honors after receiving over 49-percent of the vote for Week 7.
Mayberry, who owns an Arkansas No. 1 time after his performance at the Chile Pepper XC Festival, outlasted a tough challenge from Georgia athlete Kamari Miller, who generated over 40-percent of the vote.
Unquestionably, both athletes would have been deserving.
But Mayberry's win was fitting in that the Bentonville senior, who has yet to win a state title, really did something special at Chile Pepper, beating the top returning runner in Arkansas -- who, to many, was the guy to beat this fall in the state, Reuben Reina.
Now, Mayberry will have to do that again in order to claim that coveted state hardware. But his victory on Oct. 3 certainly sets up a big showdown come November in Class 6A.
A big congrats goes out to Mayberry on the honor.
Now let's move on to Week 8 of the National Performer of the Week.
We'll have seven candidates in this week's poll. Voting will end Friday, and we'll recognize the winner every Monday during the unveiling of the newest poll.
NPOTW XC Winners:
- Week 1 Winner: Rheinhardt Harrison, Nease (FL)
- Week 2 Winner: Izaiah Steury, Angola (IN)
- Week 3 Winner: Jackson Danner, Huntsville (AL)
- Week 4 Winner: Dayton Carlson, Casteel (AZ)
- Week 5 Winnner: Ethan Strand, Vestavia Hills (AL)
- Week 6 Winner: Grahm Tuohy-Gaydos, Green Mountain (CO)
- Week 7 Winner: Dawson Mayberry, Bentonville (AR)