Clayton Mendez Secures US No. 2 At Distance Night In Palatine
1. Let's start with the girls elite DMR. While Naperville North's 12:12.54 was a very good performance and stands as a US No. 13 mark and a new meet record by 30 seconds, keep in mind that (potentially) a few of the girls ran that very morning (I was told earlier this week there was a chance this would happen) and doubled back to make sure they had an opportunity to compete in an outdoor DMR -- an opportunity the Huskies seldom get over the season. The team's anchor Sarah Schmitt, an Indiana University recruit, finished the 1600 leg in 4:58. The next-closest competitor was more than 30 seconds behind.
2. Let's unpack the boys 3200m. Five boys were under 9:05, but apparently there was a crash in the final lap. Hersey sophomore Josh Methner came through with the win in 9:06.65, while Waukegan's Marcos Garcia was second in 9:07.09.
3. The pre-meet favorite in the girls 800m, Stephanie Kriss, played second fiddle the entire race. Instead, Lasalle-Peru's Rachel Hickey dominated in a new meet record and US No. 8 tying mark of 2:10.70.
4. The boys DMR had a super competitive filed that consisted of some of the premier distance programs in Illinois, but it was Downers Grove North who ran away with it, finishing in a new US No. 4 time of 10:15.38. The squad included Jacob Ridderhoff, Brendan Lockerby, Ryan Birkmeier, and Miles Christensen.
5. Clayton Mendez was ready to put down a major effort in the 1600m on Saturday. And the Whitney Young senior certainly did that, finishing in a new US No. 2 time of 4:08.64. Six boys finished in under 4:15, including second-place Ansel Fellman of Bradford (4:09.75), Thomas Shilgalis of Naperville Central (4:10.70), and Drew Bosley of Homestead (4:10.75), among others.
- Page 1: Zachary (LA) High's Sean Burrell goes school record 45.88 in beast mode effort
- Page 2: Dustin Horter throws down in an epic 3200m race at Eastern Relays for a new US No. 1
- Page 3: Kaitlyn Lacy wins in the final stretches on Friday in the girls 3200m at the Eastern Relays
- Page 4: Katelyn Tuohy drops a calm US No. 2 performance in the 3200 at the Red Raider Relays
- Page 5: Nyjari McNeil continues to impress at 800 meters
- Page 6: Katelynne Hart is on fire
- Page 7: Kansas Relays Recap
- Page 8: Mt. SAC Recap
- Page 9: Sadie Sargent claims Class 2A state record in 1600 in Utah
- Page 10: Breaking down the Distance Night in Palatine
- Page 11: Can Jake Merrell Break 1:50?
- Page 12: DeSoto's boys closing the gap in the 4x100 relay
- Page 13: Georgia's Surprise 400m Leader Goes US No. 1
- Page 14: Twanisha Terry takes NCAA lead in the 100m with wind-legal mark