Tamara Clark, Tyrese Cooper Lead 200m Qualifiers
Day 6: Thursday, August 4
Tamara Clark of High Point Central, N.C. and Tyrese Cooper of MGX/American High School in Fla. led all qualifiers today in the 200m semi-finals. Clark clocked 23.59 to lead all sprinters today as two other girls broke 24 seconds in the 17-18 division: Katia Seymour in 23.75 and Caitlan Tate in 23.78.
Cooper ran 20.89 (-0.4) to win his 15-16 prelim, which stood as the fastest time of the day across all age divisions. The fastest qualifiers in the 17-18 division were Elija Godwin, the Brooks PR 400m champion who clocked 21.06 (-1.7), and Chantz Sawyers, who clocked 21.31 (-1.7).
Watch Elija Godwin win the Brooks PR 400m:
More highlights from Houston, Texas:
- Damira Allen set a new 8-and-under meet record in the 1500m: 5:18.44
- James Hanson just missed setting a new meet record in the 8-and-under boys 1500m with his 5:18.58
- Milan Young wins 17-18 100m hurdles in 13.85
- Charles Brockman follows 400m hurdles win with another gold in 110m hurdles, 14.07
- Motor City TC girls top 17-18 4x400m prelim in 3:46
- Wings TC boys top 17-18 4x400m prelim in 3:11.87
- I5 Elite 14-year-old boys 4x400m relay run 3:25.64, just ahead of Ultimate Speed Academy in 3:28.38 but Brandon Miller runs by far fastest 14 split of the day in 48.61 for the 4x4 prelims. Miller set the age 14 world record yesterday in the 800m at 1:51.23