Meet Recap by Stephen Mazzone
Alex Ostberg won the New England Championship 2 Mile in a nation-leading time of 9:00.58.
It's safe to say that Alex Ostberg is back. With the New Balance Nationals just a few weeks ahead, that's good news for the Darien High senior and perhaps bad news for the rest of his competition.
After dealing with pneumonia for the early part of the indoor season, Ostberg has gradually built himself into race shape. He flat-out proved it Friday night with a dominating performance in the two mile run at the New England Championships.
Breaking away from the pack with a little more than a half mile remaining, Ostberg came a few strides away from breaking the meet record with the fastest time in the nation of 9 minutes, 0.58 seconds. His performance led a 1-2-3 sweep by the Nutmeg State with Brien McMahon junior Eric Van de Els finishing second in 9:08.67 and Darien junior Armstrong Noonan placing third in 9:09.15.
"I had a pretty good speed workout a few days ago and it kind of gave me a good indication that I am in good shape," Ostberg said. "My confidence has been getting higher and higher every week. I am feeling more like my old self, absolutely."
The Stanford-bound runner was one of three athletes that produced U.S. best at the regional competition, held at the Reggie Lewis Athletic Center in Boston. Another Connecticut runner broke the tape in the girls' two mile with Staples standout Hannah DeBalsi capturing her third straight title with a season-best time of 10:26.09. In the long jump, Kate Hall of Lake Region (Me.) improved on her nation No. 1 with a meet record of 20 feet, 6 inches. The senior was the meet's only double-winner, also copping the 55-meter dash with a PB of 6.95, a time that ties for third in the country.
Hannah DeBalsi won her third straight New England Championships 2 Mile title with a nation-leading time of 10:26.09.
Ostberg, a runner-up in the two mile at last year's NE meet, was aiming for a time in the low nine-minute range. And it was evident he meant business on Friday. He took the lead from the gun and with his two state rivals on his shoulders, he passed the opening mile a shade under 4:30.
"I think there were my fair share of doubters going into the indoor season not sure I could hold it after my good X-C results," said Ostberg, who was one of the top harriers during the cross-country season where he won state and NE titles and was ninth at Foot Locker Nationals.
"When I got sick it was hard to kind of explain to people I am in it for the long term and every race I just have to get my legs from under me. I mean, my pneumonia really knocked me out for about a month. Running about nine (minutes) flat makes me think that I am in better shape than I was last year."
Much like she did in 2014 when she cruised to a near meet record with her first-place time of 10:12.95, DeBalsi turned Friday's race into her own personal time trial. She was already far ahead of the chase pack by the half mile and sizzled through her first mile at 5:05. DeBlasi wasn't able to maintain her record pace, but it wasn't because she felt fatigued.
"I wasn't really tired, just mentally I wasn't in the zone," she said. "I don't know what happened. I just had to get back into the zone."
For Hall, it was her second meet this season where she has exceeded the magical 20-foot mark in the long jump, and she did it twice. She went a half inch further than her previous best with a 20-2 effort in the preliminaries. Hall achieved her best on her first attempt in the finals.
"I knew if I got my foot on board and got some height I could definitely do it," she said. "I was really relaxed. I already set my goal of 20-2. I was like nothing else matters now. Even if I foul all my jumps in the finals, it doesn't matter. I already set a PR. It helped me relax more. It actually helped me with my steps."
Hall beat a talented field in the 55m dash. Finishing second was junior Briana Duncan of Cambridge Rindge & Latin (Mass.) with a time of 6.98 (US #7). Taking third was Hope (R.I.) senior Quashira McIntosh at 7.15.
"I just knew I had to have a good block start, which in the prelims I did not," Hall said. "In the finals it was much better. I had some good competition in the finals."
St. John Prep (Mass.) senior John Luongo defended his crown in the 600m with a fast time of 1:19.37. Luongo, who ranks No. 2 in the nation with his best of 1:18.84 earlier this season, had to fend off a strong challenge from runner-up Jackson Gallagher of Wakefield (Mass.), who finished at 1:20.60 (US #7).
Joe Luongo poses with Casimir Loxsom, the New England Championships Meet Record holder in the 600m. Loxsom set the American Record in the 600m in January at 1:15.58.
"I was definitely trying to go a lot harder," said Luongo, who was about 50 seconds at 400m. "I was going after the New England and meet record (1:18.72). My personal best is 1:18.84 so I was definitely trying to go faster."
La Salle Academy, which will be making an attempt at the national HS record for the 4x1 mile relay at the NBN, made a strong case that the mark is within their reach. The Rams swept the top three spots in the mile with junior Matt Bouthillette taking the crown with a time of 4:17.25. Sophomore D.J. Principe was second at 4:17.77 and senior Dan Paiva solidified third with a time of 4:18.04.
The race was without their teammate, defending champion Jack Salisbury. Salisbury, who clocked at 4:08.76 mile to place second at the New Balance Indoor Grand Prix at the beginning of the month, competed in the 1,000m. Winning the unseeded heat by a convincing margin, the Ram runner placed an eventual sixth overall with a best of 2:31.15.
In the seeded section of the race, Billerica (Mass.) senior PJ Garmon held off Wilton (Conn.) senior Spencer Brown down the final straightaway to win with a time of 2:26.97 (US #4). Brown crossed the line at 2:27.51 (US #7) for second.
Danae Rivers clocked US #5 2:49.68 to win the 1k over Maegan Doody, who is currently ranked US #3.
Wilbur Cross (Conn.) junior Danae Rivers clocked a nation No. 5 to take the girls' 1,000m with a PB of 2:49.68. Taking second was Maegan Doody of Oyster Bay (N.H.) with a time of 2:50.20.
Eliza Rego, a junior from La Salle Academy, won the mile with a meet record of 4:52.83 (US #6). She dipped under the old mark of 4:54.57, held by former Ram great Molly Keating in 2012. Finishing second in the race was Shannon Murdock of Exeter (N.H.) with a time of 4:56.38. Placing third was Needham (Mass.) senior Kaleigh Hughes at 4:56.77.
Rego did most of the pace-setting for the eight-lap race and broke away with 200m left. At that point, she was primarily concerned about Hughes, who had beaten her by a mere stride at the East Coast Invitational in Providence last month.
Eliza Rego set a new Meet Record in the One Mile with her US #6 4:52.83.
"She had a lot of height on me and she has a kick too," she said. "I figured if I should do it I should do it then."
The girls of Lincoln Sudbury (Mass.) kicked of the meet by running a nation No. 5 of 9:16.25 in the 4x800m relay. The Warriors were bolstered by a 2:11 leg from anchor Ariel Keklak. In the boys' race, three teams dipped under eight minutes with Amherst Regional (Mass.) taking the title with a time of 7:53.85 (US #11). Connecticut's Danbury (7:55.20) and Staples (7:59.94) were second and third, respectively.
- 1,000 Meter Run - Danae Rivers (Wilbur Cross High School) 2:49.68 SB; Maegan Doody (Oyster River High School) 2:50.20; Ariel Keklak (Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School) 2:51.59; Olivia Weir (King Philip Regional High School) 2:55.49 SB; Kate Gobi (Wachusett Regional High School) 2:55.73 SB; Tiara Tardy (Mattanawcook Academy) 2:57.67 SB; Samantha Coletti (Whitman Hanson Regional High School) 2:57.87; Erica Hefnawy (Staples High School) 2:58.54 SB; Kaitlyn Hebert (Glastonbury High School) 3:01.03; Nichole Barger (Cumberland) 3:01.67 SB; Julia Zitzmann(Barrington High School) 3:01.96 SB; Haley Hasty (Rockville High School) 3:04.45; Tiffany Tanner (Brunswick High School) 3:05.29 SB; Britney Johnson (Pinkerton Academy ) 3:07.17 SB; Anna Harmon (Raymond High School) 3:07.29 SB; Kristen Tilley (Windham High School) 3:07.49 SB; Kelsey Bordash (Ridgefield High School) 3:07.92;
- Two Mile Run - Hannah Debalsi (Staples High School) 10:26.09 SB; Sheridan Wilbur (La Salle Academy) 10:40.89 SB;Margie Cullen (Needham High School) 10:51.52; Jacqueline Gaughan (Exeter High School) 10:51.64 SB; Caitlin Swanson (Tolland High School) 10:54.80 SB; Morgan Sansing (Pinkerton Academy ) 10:55.50 SB; Emily Bryson (North Quincy High School) 11:01.25; Coralea Geranigtis (Nauset Regional High School) 11:01.30 SB; Courtney Akerley(Tolland High School) 11:01.74 SB; Jenna Gasparrini (Immaculate High School) 11:10.13 SB; Haley Hasty (Rockville High School) 11:11.06 SB; Molly Hamel (Avon High School) 11:14.96 SB; Cianna Lynch (La Salle Academy) 11:21.03 SB; Juleann Schultz (Shepherd Hill Regional High School) 11:21.60; Lauren Brown (Waterville High School) 11:41.54 SB; Audrey O'neill (La Salle Academy) 11:42.52 SB; Anna Lastra (Fryeburg Academy) 11:43.18 SB;
- 300 Meter Dash - Sierra Irvin (Hingham High School) 39.48; Chelsea Owusu (Wachusett Regional High School) 40.29;Sashana Hinds (Windsor High School) 40.32; Ashley Lewis (Boston Latin Academy) 40.45; Anna Sulger (Darien High School) 40.82; Krista Fernandes (Coyle & Cassidy High School) 40.92; Jiana Baker (Windsor High School) 41.31 SB;Alyssa Madden (Oakmont Regional High School) 41.33 SB; Emma Koether (Fairfield Ludlowe) 41.79; Alyssa Zee(Ashland High School) 42.04; Greta Scott (Portsmouth High School) 42.14; Meaghan Scullin (Cumberland) 42.64;Nadya Vitous (Monadnock High School) 42.91 SB; Laura Murphy (East Greenwich High School) 43.05;
- 4x200 Meter Relay - Hingham High School 1:42.75; Hope High School 1:42.77; Wachusett Regional High School1:44.83; Hs 1:44.93; Danbury High School 1:45.89; La Salle Academy 1:47.12; Concord Carlisle High School 1:47.40;Daniel Hand High School 1:47.65; Glastonbury High School 1:47.75; Sutton High School 1:48.00; Merrimack Valley High School 1:48.29; Fairfield Ludlowe 1:48.50; Hillhouse High 1:48.69; Pilgrim High School 1:48.95; East Greenwich High School 1:49.36;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Windsor High School 3:59.13; King Philip Regional High School 3:59.71; Wilbur Cross High School 3:59.81; Lexington High School 4:02.74; Hillhouse High 4:03.02; Glastonbury High School 4:03.58; Wachusett Regional High School 4:04.58; Hope High School 4:04.73; Winchester High School 4:04.73; La Salle Academy 4:05.02;Tolland High School 4:05.16; Merrimack Valley High School 4:06.47; Wilton High School 4:06.83; Bedford High School4:07.83; Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School 4:09.04; St. Johnsbury Academy 4:09.52;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School 9:16.25; Tolland High School 9:20.34; Hs 9:24.17;Hopkinton High School 9:24.35; Lexington High School 9:29.15; Weston High School 9:29.61; Glastonbury High School9:32.24; Pomperaug 9:32.89; La Salle Academy 9:33.14; Ridgefield High School 9:34.95; Andover High School9:35.06; Concord Carlisle High School 9:36.81; Moses Brown School 9:54.94; Bishop Guertin High School 9:57.22;Westerly High School 10:01.30;
- 55 Meter Hurdles - Isabella Dimare (Notre Dame Academy-Hingham) 8.26 SB; Gabriella Curtis (Wilbur Cross High School) 8.38; Gabriella Curtis (Wilbur Cross High School) 8.37 SB; Isabella Dimare (Notre Dame Academy-Hingham) 8.38; Caroline Lueng (Pembroke High School) 8.51 SB;
- 55 Meter Dash - Kate Hall (Lake Region High School) 6.95 SB; Brianna Duncan (Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School) 6.98 SB; Quashira Mcintosh (Hope High School) 7.15; Brooke-lynn Williams (Norton High School) 7.17; Alethia Moore (Hillhouse High) 7.22; Sydney Fisher (Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School) 7.24; Cassidy Palmer (Stafford High School) 7.25; Niema Riley (Danbury High School) 7.28; Kate Hall (Lake Region High School) 7.06; Brianna Duncan(Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School) 7.15; Brooke-lynn Williams (Norton High School) 7.18; Quashira Mcintosh(Hope High School) 7.22; Alethia Moore (Hillhouse High) 7.20; Niema Riley (Danbury High School) 7.21 SB; Sydney Fisher (Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School) 7.26; Cassidy Palmer (Stafford High School) 7.28; Stephanie Ditraglia(La Salle Academy) 7.30; Leyshla Gonzalez (Lowell High School) 7.36; Michele Otaluka (South Windsor High School) 7.39;
- 600 Meter Dash - Amy Piccolo (Ursuline Academy) 1:35.13; Kristie Schoffield (Merrimack Valley High School) 1:35.38 SB; Gwenyth Winship (Bedford High School) 1:35.83 SB; Maya Halprin-adams (Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School) 1:35.92; Leah Sarkisian (Danbury High School) 1:36.20 SB; Michaela Meyer (Pomperaug) 1:36.42 SB; Gianna Bender (King Philip Regional High School) 1:36.62; Jacklyn Sullivan (Plymouth North High School) 1:37.44 SB;Samantha Hartmayer (Shelton High School) 1:37.48 SB; Alexa Mcguire (Lowell High School) 1:37.70; May Stern(Classical High School) 1:38.26; Katarina Ho (North Kingstown High School) 1:39.27 SB; Tashay Roberts (Bloomfield High School) 1:39.40; Annicka Mcdonald (Windsor High School) 1:40.03; Randi Burr (Westerly High School) 1:41.04;Savanna Spencer (Winnacunnet High School) 1:41.20 SB; Kayla Blair (Monadnock High School) 1:41.45 SB; Elisabeth Redwood (Bonny Eagle High School) 1:41.73 SB; Hannah Mercorella (Ridgefield High School) 1:41.73; Jess Cawley(Toll Gate High School) 1:42.07; Emily Turner (Cheverus High School) 1:42.21 SB;
- High Jump - Danae Bucci (Bedford High School) 5-9 SB; Olivia Mileika (Oliver Ames High School) 5-5 SB; Kalli'ana Botelho (Griswold High School) 5-5 SB; Anika Hibbard (Bedford High School) 5-5; Elizabeth Knoll (Staples High School) 5-5;
- Long Jump - Kate Hall (Lake Region High School) 20-6 SB; Brianna Duncan (Cambridge Rindge and Latin High School) 18-5.25; Tori Daigle (Thornton Academy) 18-0.75;
- One Mile Run - Eliza Rego (La Salle Academy) 4:52.83 SB; Shannon Murdock (Exeter High School) 4:56.38 SB;Kaleigh Hughes (Needham High School) 4:56.77; Karina Tavares (La Salle Academy) 5:02.37 SB; Jillian Howard(Weston High School) 5:02.79 SB; Sarah Armstrong (Needham High School) 5:04.09; Kaley Richards (Lowell High School) 5:05.53; Lily Foulkes (The Wheeler School) 5:05.55 SB; Rita Maurais (Hopedale High School) 5:07.45; Mia Nahom (New Milford High School) 5:10.12 SB; Hannah Fleming (Ridgefield High School) 5:12.42 SB; Bridgid Selfors(Mercy High School) 5:14.31 SB; Gina D'addario (Woburn High School) 5:15.11; Katherine Deloreto (Tolland High School) 5:17.51; Emily Harris (Manchester Central) 5:18.18 SB;
- Shot Put - Sarah Cicchetti (Greenwich High School) 41-0.75 SB; Alva Hicks (Classical High School) 40-11.75; Skylar Barthelmes (Dartmouth High School) 40-3.75; Meghan Richards (Pembroke High School) 40-3 SB; Alyssa Coyne(Greely High School) 40-0.75 SB; Gabrielle Etienne (Somerville High School) 40-0 SB; Jenny Lee (Woburn High School) 39-8.25;
- 1,000 Meter Run - Pj Garmon (Billerica Memorial High School) 2:26.97 SB; Spencer Brown (Wilton High School) 2:27.51 SB; Kristian Sogaard (Ridgefield High School) 2:29.87 SB; Connor Donovan (Oliver Ames High School) 2:30.86 SB; Randy Neish (Glastonbury High School) 2:31.05 SB; Jack Salisbury (La Salle Academy) 2:31.15 SB; Chris Skelly(North Middlesex Regional High School) 2:33.10; James Lewis (Staples High School) 2:33.22; Everest Crawford(Gloucester High School) 2:33.74; Connor Gralton (Norwich Free Academy) 2:33.79 SB; Noah Bellomo (Alvirne High School) 2:35.12 SB; Eli Decker (Concord Carlisle High School) 2:35.20; Griffin Waller (Bacon Academy) 2:36.38; Brett Hoerner (Manchester Memorial High School) 2:36.84 SB; Avery Ingegneri (Bishop Hendricken High School) 2:36.99 SB;John St. Hilaire (Methuen High School) 2:38.67; Noah Davis (Pinkerton Academy ) 2:39.20;
- Two Mile Run - Alex Ostberg (Darien High School) 9:00.58 SB; Eric van der Els (Brien McMahon High School) 9:08.67 SB; Armstrong Noonan (Darien High School) 9:09.15 SB; Tommy Sommer (East Greenwich High School) 9:23.64 SB;Emmanuel D'agostino (Brookline High School) 9:24.26 SB; Justin Carbone (Exeter High School) 9:24.48 SB; Marcelo Rocha (Peabody) 9:26.46 SB; Dominic Parlato (Bishop Hendricken High School) 9:34.02 SB; Mitchell Morris (Cape Elizabeth High School) 9:34.17 SB; Kyle Beaudette (Amity High School) 9:34.98 SB; Michael Brady (Medway High School) 9:36.01 SB; Grant O'Connor (William Hall High School) 9:39.04 SB; Sam Brunnette (North Country Union) 9:39.95 SB; Clint Corso (Ridgefield High School) 9:39.99 SB; Nick Sevilla (Pinkerton Academy ) 9:40.98 SB; Jake Grundy (La Salle Academy) 9:42.75; Sean Laverty (Cumberland) 9:46.24;
- 300 Meter Dash - Simeon Okoro (Weston High School) 34.89; Philip Batler (Newton South High School) 35.28 SB;Abu Ceesay (Norton High School) 35.32; Jake Dixon (Cheverus High School) 35.66; Jose Santos (Coventry High School) 35.67 SB; Lucas Holt (Natick High School) 36.01; Justin Ireland (Norton High School) 36.03 SB; Zakari Jenkins (Nashua North High School) 36.11; Cameron Morenzi (La Salle Academy) 36.14 SB; Chris Jewett (Woburn High School) 36.58;
- 4x200 Meter Relay - Windsor High School 1:29.23; Weston High School 1:29.46; Andover High School 1:31.70;Brockton High School 1:32.05; Wachusett Regional High School 1:32.22; Central High School 1:32.27; Amity High School 1:32.31; La Salle Academy 1:32.35; Norton High School 1:32.50; Nashua North High School 1:33.31;Wethersfield High School 1:33.56; Cumberland 1:33.64; Falmouth High School 1:34.08;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Andover High School 3:23.49; Weston High School 3:23.80; Natick High School 3:24.11;Hillhouse High 3:25.48; Northampton High School 3:26.26; Central High School 3:26.83; Ridgefield High School3:28.38; Hs 3:28.80; Windsor High School 3:28.86; Bristol Central High School 3:28.94;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Amherst-Pelham Regional High School 7:53.85; Danbury High School 7:55.20; Staples High School 7:59.94; Methuen High School 8:01.31; Mansfield High School 8:01.87; Peabody 8:07.15; South Burlington8:08.71; Lowell High School 8:10.25; Hs 8:12.79; Wilton High School 8:13.76; Barrington High School 8:15.26;Cumberland 8:15.75; Darien High School 8:19.58; Souhegan High School 8:20.80;
- 55 Meter Hurdles - Kevin Saccone (Old Rochester Regional High School) 7.45 SB; Sebastian Silveira (Andover High School) 7.45 SB; Brian Donna (O'Bryant High School) 7.60 SB; Shawn Fletcher (Hillhouse High) 7.63 SB; Sean Caveney(Andover High School) 7.68; Jared Talbert (Cumberland) 7.69; Sean Caveney (Andover High School) 7.58 SB; Kevin Saccone (Old Rochester Regional High School) 7.58; Sebastian Silveira (Andover High School) 7.61;
- 55 Meter Dash - Jonathan Derolus (Brockton High School) 6.43; Stanley Little (John F. Kennedy High School) 6.46 SB;Akiel Smith (Hillhouse High) 6.47 SB; Cody Trudel (Westford Academy) 6.47; Kyshawn Bonner (Windsor High School) 6.47 SB; Juwan Hall (Holy Cross High School) 6.48; John Thomas (Danvers High School) 6.56 SB; Donatien Djero(Central High School) 6.56; Jonathan Derolus (Brockton High School) 6.41 SB; Cody Trudel (Westford Academy) 6.47 SB; Stanley Little (John F. Kennedy High School) 6.49; Donatien Djero (Central High School) 6.54 SB; Juwan Hall (Holy Cross High School) 6.49; Kyshawn Bonner (Windsor High School) 6.57; John Thomas (Danvers High School) 6.59; Akiel Smith (Hillhouse High) 6.59; Robert Jones (Wayland High School) 6.60;
- 600 Meter Dash - Joe Luongo (St. John's Prep) 1:19.37; Jackson Gallagher (Wakefield Memorial High School) 1:20.60 SB; Hany Ramadan (Deering High School) 1:22.34 SB; Tyler Gleen (Trumbull High School) 1:22.36 SB; Johnathan Keating (Ridgefield High School) 1:22.48 SB; Brian Gendron (Morgan School) 1:22.74 SB; Griffin Cobb (Sheehan High School) 1:22.83 SB; Ryan Wittenberg (Bedford High School) 1:22.95 SB; Richard Grudzwick (New Milford High School) 1:22.97 SB; Mars Bishop (Barrington High School) 1:23.58 SB; Tom Graham (Newburyport High School) 1:23.69;Justin Marcantonio (Boston College High School) 1:24.13; William Harmon (Raymond High School) 1:24.80; Rodney Agyare-may (Burncoat High School) 1:24.82; James Placco (La Salle Academy) 1:25.13; Kyle Saunders (Alvirne High School) 1:25.17 SB; Jake Duncan (Fairfield Ludlowe) 1:25.29; Sam Lanternier (Pinkerton Academy ) 1:25.84; John Vargas (Classical High School) 1:26.14 SB; Austin Lin (Watertown High School) 1:26.43;
- High Jump - Anthony Bravo (Staples High School) 6-9 SB; Kevin Hack (Nipmuc Regional High School) 6-7; Starlin Ortiz (Londonderry High School) 6-7; Alexander Reduker (Newburyport High School) 6-5 SB; Quinten Clark (Lexington High School) 6-5; Ben Murphy (Bishop Hendricken High School) 6-5 SB; Joseph Dimartino (Masuk High School) 6-5 SB;
- Long Jump - Brandon Sebastian (West Haven) 23-4 SB; Anthony Bravo (Staples High School) 22-1.5;
- One Mile Run - Matthew Bouthillette (La Salle Academy) 4:17.25 SB; David Principe (La Salle Academy) 4:17.77 SB;Dan Paiva (La Salle Academy) 4:18.04; Christian Alberico (Coginchaug High School) 4:20.57 SB; Thomas D'anieri(Wellesley High School) 4:21.07; Dan Schumacher (Naugatuck High School) 4:22.16 SB; Eric Waterman (Danbury High School) 4:24.82 SB; Paul Casavant (Hampden Academy) 4:27.99; Zachary Manickas-hill (Lexington High School) 4:29.11; Liam Kimball (Timberlane High School) 4:29.96 SB; William Moore (Bellows Falls High School) 4:30.38 SB;Joe Murphy (Classical High School) 4:30.93 SB;
- Shot Put - Leonardo Ramirez (Fitchburg High School) 57-1.75 SB; Evan Adams (Norwalk High School) 55-11; Paul May(Bloomfield High School) 54-5.25 SB; Hunter Shipp (Wilton High School) 53-10.25 SB; Adam Kelly (Barrington High School) 53-9.25; Matt Dutton (Acton-Boxborough High School) 53-6.75;