Photo by Nolan Jez
Derek Holdsworth, a senior from Lafayette High School in Williamsburg, Virginia, won the boys 800 meter run at the Colonial Relays on Friday with a personal best and US #1 time of 1:50.39 on the College of William & Mary track at Zable Stadium. Holdsworth shocked many in winning the New Balance Nationals Indoor title last month in the 800 meter run in a 1-2 finish and battle with fellow Virginian Kenneth Hagen of Blacksburg. A three-time Virginia state champion indoors at the 500 meter distance, Holdsworth bolted out to the lead early on and set a torrential pace for the first 600 meters to set himself up well to clock the nation's fastest time of the outdoor season at 800 meters.
More coverage from Friday's high school action at the Colonial Relays below including race videos, photos, and interviews.
- Colonial Relays Meet Page on MileSplit
- Live Results
- Derek Holdsworth Video Interview
- Race Videos/Video Interviews by Nolan Jez
- Photo Gallery by Mary Ann Magnant
Friday High School Results from Colonial Relays:
MileStat was on site for this years installment of the Colonial Relays for coverage. As part of this coverage Mary Ann Magnant took over 1,000 photos of the comeptition.
The Ocean City Girls Distance Medley Relay shows great early season promise as they win the Colonial Relays DMR in VA on Friday afternoon.
Derek Holdsworth, a senior from Lafayette High School in Williamsburg, Virginia, won the boys 800 meter run at the Colonial Relays on Friday with a personal best and US #1 time of 1:50.39 on the College of William & Mary track at Zable Stadium.
First weekend in April has a full schedule of meets. The Colonial Relays in Virginia bring back a bigger high school slate for the first time since the early 2000s. Big performances are certainly on the cards with the forecast looking good for early April!
Photos: GoPro 100m Hurdles
GoPro shots of the 100m Hurdles, 30 frames per two seconds.
Photos: GoPro Boys High Jump
- 100 Meter Hurdles - Ellie Randolph (Norfolk Academy) 14.97 SB; Deborah Allison (Lafayette) 15.00 SB;
- 100 Meter Dash - Meshala Morton (Mountain View) 12.12 SB;
- 3,000 Meter Run - Rachel Bloxom (Grafton High School) 10:30.43 SB;
- 400 Meter Hurdles - Alice Babashak* (Midlothian High School) 1:03.29 SB;
- 400 Meter Dash - MacKenzie Kerr * (Douglas Freeman) 57.39 SB;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Kellam 9:24.24; Ocean City HS 9:25.98; Germantown Friends School 9:33.75;
- 800 Meter Run - Madeleine McCarty (Kellam) 2:17.81 SB; Brigit Andersson (Germantown Friends School) 2:20.00 SB;
- Distance Medley Relay - Ocean City HS 12:26.10;
- Long Jump - Natalia Bueker (Gloucester High School) 17-6 SB;
- One Mile Run - Sarah Walker (Germantown Friends School) 5:11.60 SB; Miriam Buscher (Warhill) 5:13.79 SB; Rita Concannon (Conestoga) 5:14.57 SB; Adriana Hooks (Lafayette) 5:14.87 SB;
- 3,000 Meter Run - Andrew Marston (Conestoga) 8:45.62 SB; Ryan Thomas (Albemarle) 8:49.75 SB;
- 400 Meter Dash - Alex Darden (Kellam) 48.71 SB;
- 4x400 Meter Relay - Warhill 3:22.08;
- 4x800 Meter Relay - Saint Joseph's Prep 8:03.49; Lafayette 8:04.71; Douglas Freeman 8:05.75; Msgr Bonner & Abp Prendergast HS 8:06.84; LaSalle College High School 8:08.94; Germantown Friends School8:09.95;
- 800 Meter Run - Derek Holdsworth (Lafayette) 1:50.39 SB; Christopher Short (Warhill) 1:53.10 SB; Chase Heiner (Centreville) 1:55.92 SB;
- Distance Medley Relay - Midlothian High School 10:28.93; Germantown Friends School 10:32.10; Saint Joseph's Prep 10:35.28; Douglas Freeman 10:41.10;
- High Jump - Bradley Jones (Oscar Smith High School) 6-6 SB; Will Kendall* (Midlothian High School) 6-6 SB;
- One Mile Run - Ryan Thomas (Albemarle) 4:18.97 SB; Kieran Tuntivate (Charter School of Wilmington) 4:21.81 SB; Jason Menzies (Lafayette) 4:23.27 SB; Andrew Eason (Hickory High School) 4:23.61 SB;Gunnar Sjoreen (Conestoga) 4:26.63 SB; Micah Ellington (Hickory High School) 4:26.83 SB;