* Myriq (Kenneth) Freeman (above) has both speed AND endurance in the 400m and 800m
Does speed win out in the boys 800, or is it endurance?
Like the girls list, boys with more endurance in the 1600m typically fare much better in the 800m from a depth perspective, while it's more difficult for boys who focus on sprinting to go up in distance.
Check out some of our stats, which lead to some answers below.
- Tyrese Cooper has the fastest 400m effort (46.4) with an 800m on his resume (1:57.93)
- Myriq Freeman is ranked with the No. 9 400m (48.35) to go along with an 800m performance, though he's the only athlete to go under 1:55 among the top 10 (1:54.40)
- Jacob Miley has the fastest 400m (49.89) of anyone who has gone under 1:53, with his best of 1:52.54
- Jericho Cleveland has the top overall 1600m (4:09.81) with a fast 800m (1:52.78)
- Hugh Brittenham has the sixth fastest 1600m (4:12.02) and top rated 800 (1:51.92)
Reference: These lists only gather athletes with BOTH 400-800m times in 2018, or 800-1600 times. If an athlete has one but not the other, they are not on this list.
Read: Endurance Wins Out In The Girls 800
Comparison: 400m-800m - 800m-1600m